Friday, October 07, 2005

So Damn Stressed

My new position is much tougher than I thought it would be. Not because of the staff, they have actually been very receptive to me and just happy to have someone that will listen and attempt to fix issues. Not because of the hours or my new duties, thats why I wanted to get back into operations. Its because I have a dumbass for a boss. I knew this going into the position and everyone thought I was crazy for even considering working for him, but I thought (as well as my GM - my boss's boss) that I would be able to get in there and do my own thing. Little did I know how difficult it is to make positive changes and try to change some of the operating procedures to make everyones life easier, with a boss who works against you and is just plain ignorant and too pig-headed to understand things. He is what people consider "old school". He has very little computer skills and little understanding of financial reports and how to manage the department to make budget. His leadership skills or extraordinarily poor (if existent at all).
He does however have an uncanny eye for detail and I give him credit for that, but he manages to drive everyone crazy with it. An great example was the other day: our room service department was hit with 7 orders at the same time (I only had one server working), we were scrambling to get everything together and people there food within a 30 minute window and I was assisting in making sure nothing was missing on the orders and everything was set up properly. The Director walks through and notices that the room service refrigerator was a little messy (we were in a rush, what can I say). He proceeds to pull me aside as well as the server to lecture us on working in a neat environment for over 5 minutes. Because of the lecture, two orders went up late and we had to comp them.
The other extremely frustrating thing is that he has no clue of what the servers do, what the supervisors do and what I do. He gives us long lists of "projects" to work on and things to fix, but offers no solutions (because he has none). I am new to the position and the existing operating procedures and everytime I have asked for his help or ask him a question, he does not know the answer and pushes me off on someone else to help me. How can someone be in charge of a department that knows so little?!?
So yesterday evening, I asked to have a meeting with our GM. I recognize that I am his pet, or "it" girl as a few people have called me, so I basically told him how I felt and did not candy coat a damn thing. I know that he knows how horrible the Director is, but I just wanted to make sure that he knew EXACTLY how bad he is. We spoke for about an hour and he basically agreed with alot of what I said. I told him that the only way our department will ever improve is to get rid of the current director. I think some changes may be happening soon, because he made it a point to speak with me again today and vow that he will help our situation and he set up meetings with my fellow managers to get their input. I told him I felt horrible coming to him after only being in the position for a month, but said that things needed to change before he lost managers (not me, but some others that are VERY unhappy and had mentioned they were thinking about leaving). So hopefully things will change. Otherwise, I am going to be a very unhappy camper for a while.
Sorry to vent like this. Its just been a very long and frustrating day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home