Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Seasons

I very seldon get to talk with my dad on the phone when I call. My mom usually doesn't let him answer the phone because she thinks he talks too much and there were a couple of incidents where my dad answered the phone and bought hundreds of dollars worth of magazines from a telemarketer. The other night was an exception. I guess my dad beat my mom to the phone.

We got to talking about living in Florida versus living in New England. My mom and dad had just returned from visiting my brother in Orlando for a week (I was able to get up there and see them for a couple of days) and they felt is was way too hot. That was funny to me because I thought it was just starting to get cooler out. It was probably about 85 degrees and the humidity had finally dropped. My folks are big people and they do not fair well in the heat. They had apparently attempted to visit Epcot with my brother one day and only went to about 2 countries (just long enough to eat in Germany and shop in Canada). They claimed it was just too hot. My brother told me the trip was painful. Not because it was hot, but becasue of my parents, they did not want to walk anywhere. Anyway, my dad and I were talking about the weather and how he felt how beautiful it was to fly back home and be able to wear a light jacket. He said the temperature was about 20 degrees cooler.

We talked for a while about the differences and it really got me missing the seasons I used to experience up there. It doesn't even feel like October. Halloween is my favorite holiday because it the first holiday of the season and I used to love trick or treating. Christmas sneaks up on us down here too. I remember getting excited about the first light snow and seeing the Christmas Tree Lots. You still see the Christmas Tree Lots down here but the guy selling the trees is wearing shorts, a t-shirt and sweating his ass off. Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that I can lay out at the pool on Thanksgiving or go to the beach on Christmas Day. I just miss the smell of fall leaves and seeing snow. Hubby and I have been talking about eventually moving back to South Carolina, he's originally from there, or North Carolina. I loved living in South Carolina because it reminded me of New England. The winter was a bit shorter, though, and we never got any significant snowfall which was perfect. The holidays felt like the holidays. I told hubby to tell me when I will start packing...

1 Comments:

Blogger Autumn said...

Yeah, I've been laughing because it's already starting to snow in some places and today's high is supposed to be 90.

We are supposed to get a "cold front" this weekend and the highs are only going to be in the mid 70s.

I don't think size has much to do with being able to tolerate the heat, it's just what you're used to. I met some people from MA in Nashville and they were small people and they couldn't deal with the heat there. They were utterly miserable and couldn't handle walking anywhere either. Humidity is really hard on people that aren't used to it.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 9:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home