Friday, September 09, 2005

Never Again

Sometimes taking time off is just pointless. I had a great time, don't get me wrong, but coming back to work was just insane.

I am changing positions and moving out of Sales and into the Food & Beverage operation. So on Tuesday, when I returned to the office, the girl that will be replacing me had arrived. I had assumed that my boss would spend some time with her the first day or two, giving me the opportunity to catch up on a weeks worth of work, voicemails and emails, but NO. She had the girl sitting with me the entire day and I had to tour her through the hotel and my day to day duties....BLAH BLAH BLAH. She is a very sweet girl and I think she will be great, but I just did not have the time to train her. While I'm spending all this time with her, I am watching my inbox fill up and missing phone calls and not making the calls that I was supposed to be making to close business. This entire week was completely stressful. Not only was I busy closing as much business as possible (hoping for my last chance at a Sales Bonus), I was also trying to pack up my personal belongiings out of my office (because it was to be hers), prepare myself for my new position, and just get through the damn week.

To stress me out even more, fellow managers and associates keep approaching me to give me "a heads up" on the problem areas that I will be overseeing. The GM and the EC Committee have built me up to be this awesome "problem solver" and keep saying "Oh, Kris, we can't wait to see you in the restaurant. There is so much that needs to be done." My God, I hope I didn't make a mistake. My biggest fear is not meeting everyone's expectations. Sales can be stressful, but it is pretty much a 8-6 Mon - Fri job (except when I had to oversee a wedding or function in the evenings or weekends). So long Mon - Fri. I was told to report to work on Monday at 6am to learn how to open the restuarant and I was told I was expected to work weekends (our busiest times).

I took the position because I think it will be a good move for me in the long run. If I do well and make a good name for myself as a Food & Beverage Manager at THE luxury hotel in Fort Lauderdale, it will open doors for me in the future. I would like to be a Food & Beverage Director within the next couple of years and then ultimately a GM of a hotel. ALSO, I just couldn't go though another high season being a Sales Manager that also oversees Catering and Banquets. I must have worn three or four titles through last season and it just wore me out and I wound up missing out on booking more business and increasing my bonus potention because I was always away from my desk overseeing food & beverage staff and the execution of service for the groups I had previously booked.

Keep your fingers crossed for my and if you see me banging my head against the wall, gingerly make me step away from the wall and give me a beer or something...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home