Sunday, October 30, 2005

Another Update: So Fricken' Tired

Again, I apologize for lack of entries lately. I did not get to leave the hotel until Friday and while we got power back by Tuesday and water back by Wednesday night, our phones and technology are still down. We just got our cable and internet back at the apartment yesterday.

I did get a couple hours off on wednesday afternoon to go home and check on the apartment and get some more clothes for the rest of the week. I think being over tired and just disconnected from everything (being cooped up in the hotel for nearly 4 days) had really gotten to me. I completely broke down crying trying to get home. It took me over an hour to get home (usually a 20 minute drive) and I had no idea how bad things were in the area. I was overwhelmed with what I saw. How the hell will this area get back to normal anytime soon? I had to take detour after detour and they were checking IDs everywhere making sure only residents were traveling onto the barrier islands (where Ft. Lauderdale Beach and my hotel is). The lines for gas were hundreds and hundreds of cars long and people were fighting to get in line. Utility poles were knocked down like dominoes, buildings were completely destroyed, traffic lights weren't just not working, they were completely blown off, billboards were in the middle of the roads, grocery stores were like war zones with people fighting over what was left and most stores were working on cash only. So I was actually happy to return to my hotel and stay where I knew I was safe.

I am officially fed up with my job. I love what I do and I love my staff, but after working over 80 hours this week making sure every aspect of the food & beverage operation was still operating while my two "superiors" the GM of the Restaurant and the Food & Beverage Director did next to nothing and hardly worked 30 hours, I'm OVER IT. Did either of them say, "Hey Kristen, why don't you sleep in tomorrow and I will open the restaurant?" or "Hey, I know you have a lot on your plate right now, so I will take care of recording the hurricane expenses and loss, and work on the schedules for next week for you." Nope, the GM of the Restaurant came in sometime between 2pm and 3pm and closed the restaurant at 9pm due to curfew and went home. He didn't even make sure the night staff did there sidework. When I came in one morning me and my one waitress (who had been working by my side since Sunday, thank you Nicole) had to clean the mess left from the night before THEN set up for breakfast (with no water-no dishwasher, no ice, and limited supplies). I was working closely with the Chef trying to determine what we can serve and what we can't because our food vendors could not make it in because of road closures and downed power lines. I was working with HR trying to get a hold of staff to #1) Make sure they were okay and #2) See if they can get their asses into work to help us put the hotel back together. I FINALLY left yesterday about 5pm (after opening the restaurant at 6am) and still got 4 phone calls from the my "superiors" asking stupid questions they should already know the answers to.

The General Manager of the hotel is very aware of exactly what my "superiors" did and did not do and I have faith that he will remedy the situation. I think this stormed opened his eyes as to who he can count on and who he cannot.
All I have to say is , THANK GOD THE IRISH PUB TO BLOCKS DOWN OPENED ON WEDNESDAY. My ass was there once I got out of work almost every night. I think they may name a lager after me...
Sorry for the bitch session, when I get back from Tampa (yes, I am getting the fuck out of here for a couple of days) I will be in better spirits.
Love y'all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home