Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Feeling So Fricken' Old

Yesterday I had to attend Orientation for the new hotel I'm working at even though I have been there for 3 weeks and have pretty much figured it out. It is mandatory though. Because it is the beginning of the summer and our hotel uses TONS of interns, I had the distinct pleasure of being one of only 3 people over the age of 22.

By about 11:30am I was ready to slap some of them. So annoying. The girls were talking during the presentations and SO loud while we were doing the hotel tour. I had to tell them to quiet down and respect the fact that we were walking on guest floors and may disturb someone (me maybe). The tour including looking at examples of suites and standard rooms and when we went in the rooms they were jumping on the beds and "checking out" the mini bar. I mean, come on people! This is not college or some stupid field trip at school, this is going to be your place of employment for the next 3 months! While we were on the tour, I was talking to the HR Coordinator who was leading the tour, a 50ish year old black woman, and she said to me, "Honey, this is why I quit teaching." I told her that this group made me feel like an old lady myself. My eye sockets hurt from rollig my eyes so much...

The interns at the hotel are from all over and the hotel puts them up in these villas across the island, so they are pretty much still living the college life. God, I miss those days. They were talking about keg parties and being up all night and going out. While they were talking about what they were going to wear to the bars that night, me and the other new sales manager discussed housing developments and builders and the cost of living here vs. South Florida (she had just moved from there). When did I get so old? I have no reason to be mature. I have no children. I still take pleasure in tormenting my beloved cats and think fart jokes are funny. I always thought of myself as the funloving, carefree, up-for-whatever kinda girl. What happened? How did I get to be almost 30 years old!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home